BlueScope Sustainability Report FY2021Tuesday, September 14, 2021
Today, BlueScope released our FY2021 Sustainability Reporting suite.
This series of reports is our latest update on progress towards our five sustainability outcomes: Sustainable and Enduring Business, Safe and Inclusive Workplaces, Climate Change Action, Responsible Products and Supply Chains, and Strong Communities.
At BlueScope, we aim to provide transparent and meaningful disclosure about our sustainability performance. We know that sustainability means different things to different people, so we do this in a number of ways to meet the information needs of our stakeholders.
From the introduction of our leading safety indicators, climate strategy and 2050 net zero GHG goal and our strengthened approach to human rights, it has been a big year for sustainability at BlueScope, despite challenging COVID-19 conditions. Some of our key achievements over the year include:
- Several exciting digital and manufacturing excellence projects that are creating productivity improvements, reducing product loss, and helping us maintain a sustainable and enduring business
- Continuing to build safe and inclusive workplaces, we became a signatory to 40:40 Vision, an initiative led by Australia’s investor community to achieve gender balance in executive leadership across all ASX200 companies by 2030. And our new Social Impact and Inclusion function is guiding us in protecting the rights of our stakeholder communities and delivering on our diversity and inclusion strategy.
- Setting a 2050 net zero GHG emissions goal across our operations and the development of our indicative decarbonisation pathway. Our climate strategy is set out in detail in our first standalone Climate Action Report, published earlier this month.
- Despite the challenges presented by the pandemic, we have continued our independent assessment program of suppliers and sites, confirming they meet appropriate standards. The ResponsibleSteel™ site certification audit at Port Kembla Steelworks is progressing well, and our hope is that it will be completed by the end of the year.
- Wherever BlueScope people live and work, we have supported our communities during the COVID-19 pandemic, through donating goods, raising funds or volunteering skills and services.
We know that some stakeholders have a strong interest in some topics and want more detailed information. Our Tax Contribution Report highlights the economic contribution we make to our communities through the taxes BlueScope pays in all the regions where we operate.
BlueScope’s second Modern Slavery Statement details the steps we are taking to identify and address the risks of human trafficking, forced labour and other forms of modern slavery in our operations and supply chains. Whilst the Statement meets the requirements of the Australian Modern Slavery Act, it is more than a statement of compliance. It demonstrates how we are living Our Purpose, and details the actions we have taken, and will continue to take, to address these important global issues.
COVID-19 has continued to present challenges to our businesses, our communities, and our families. The opportunity to deliver such positive change and influence for good through challenging times is why we are proud to be BlueScope, delivering on Our Purpose: We create and inspire smart solutions in steel, to strengthen our communities for the future.